On 07/19/2018 09:34 PM, Michael Shell wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:54:19 +0200
Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:

But I can't compile 4.13. anymore because I now have gcc 8.1 instead
of the former 7 series.

   Frans,

What goes wrong when you try to build a 4.13 kernel with gcc 8.1?
It should work, right?

Are there any good reasons not to use a gcc 8 series kernel?

   Cheers,

   Mike

I get an syntax error when compiling pager.c. I had this before and remembered that gcc 8.1 is less forgiving then the 7 series. So, I tried to compile the kernel within the LFS development (systemd) environment which ended with said error.

The next I tried 4.14.0 and all went well. That said, I just go somewhere else shopping, maybe there is something altered in either systemd (234-8) or the kernel after 4.13.x. I don't believe that this is the right thread anymore.

I start with making a VM with a new image of various recent distributions and see if the same problem occurs there. If not, then it must be a LFS problem.

-- Frans.