On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 08:50:19AM +0200, Christian Friedl wrote:

> For investigation, I just ran make check check on a newly wget'ed (wgotten?)
> tar-1.30.tar.xz on my virtual machine in the cloud.
>
> "Test # 154: listing sparse files bigger than 2^33 B" created a file
> named tests/testsuite.dir/154/pax/BIGFILE, that grew to a whopping 20 GB
> / 20961034240 B before the test finished.
>
> The test name kind of implies this, of course. How do people get this
> thing to go through on limited space? (20GB is not that much this day
> and age, but still, I'd never have guessed I'd need that much space for
> setting up an LFS).

From building in a 10GB partition:

153: storing long sparse file names                  ok
154: listing sparse files bigger than 2^33 B        ./testsuite: line 1901:
echo: write error: No space left on device
 skipped (sparse05.at:31)
155: storing sparse file using seek method           ok

But it cleaned up fine and there was only one other error.  And
since nothing else was using that filesystem at the time, no
problems.

ĸen
--
                     Also Spuke Zerothruster