On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 22:25:33 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:51:39AM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:
> >
> > I just tried to register for one of the dev lists and Firefox played up
> > because the link isn't secure. So I tried again with https:// and
> > couldn't get a connection. What do I need to do?
> >
> Hi Hazel,
>
> I've only just got firefox installed on my latest build (and it
> seems to have been my worst build in ages, for various reasons), so
> I wan't able to look at this until now.
>
> I'm using a firefox-63 beta version (usually, when things differ the
> beta version decides that certificate chains are broken - but all
> seems good at the moment).

> So, first question: which version of firefox ?
It's Firefox 62 Quantum working out of Crux. I don't build FF in LFS any more.
Too many dependencies! I use Pale Moon instead.

> Second question: can you https:// to google ?
Yes. And to Linux Questions. It's only the LFS site that's causing problems.
The message I get when I try to use https on that site is:
[quote]
An error occurred during a connection to www.linuxfromscratch.org. SSL received
a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code:
SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of
the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
[/quote]
> One of the early problems in my current build was that I'd
>     overlookedAn error occurred during a connection to
>     www.linuxfromscratch.org. SSL received a record that exceeded the
>     maximum permissible length. Error code:
>     SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of
the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
> the need for p11-kit when I install ca-certs before the first boot.
> The certs had apparently ended ok, but in fact did nothing because
> /usr/bin/trust was not present.
It is present in Crux and in my LFS build too.

--
Hazel Russman