On 2018-10-07 23:54 +0000, David Sprayberry wrote:
> LFS did not boot for me, possibly from an incorrectly configured
> kernel or grub.cfg.
> I used the grub.cfg (and all other instructions) from the EFI hint at
> http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/hints/2018-
> April/003325.html

> set root=(hd0,gpt2)

> menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 4.18.5-lfs-8.3"  {
>   linux   /vmlinuz-4.18.5-lfs-8.3; root=/dev/sda7 ro
> }
>
> My SSD's GPT layout:
> 1. EFI
> 2. boot
> 3. Host -- debian /
> 4. opt
> 5. home
> 6. src
> 7. LFS
> 8. swap
>
> I prepared a USB with debian live on it, and used that to change
> grub.cfg. I noticed that other examples of grub.cfg on the internet
> did not have the semicolon in the linux line of grub.cfg, so I tried
> booting LFS with it removed, and it booted to a login prompt, but
> some drivers were missing because my keyboard was not recognized.
> Another kernel I don't remember being there, vmlinuz-4.9.0-7-amd64,
> showed up in /boot, which I guess must be the host's kernel and must
> have been there before.

The semicolon is a typo made by me :(.  It has beem removed in the
latest version:
http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/trunk/lfs-uefi-20180409.txt

> I sadly did not back up my old grub.cfg before overwriting it when
> installing grub, so I'm not sure if there were special options to
> pass to this host kernel to make it boot. When I first installed the
> host system, debian, I set it to automatically mount /boot. I added
> another menuentry to grub.cfg to try to boot this other kernel, but
> it couldn't find root fs, even though I passed it root=/dev/sda3 in
> grub.cfg. I looked at fstab on the host partition, but all the
> entries start with UUID=... with some codes.

It seems many "distribution" kernels need initramfs. Accroding to
Debian kernel config (
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/blob/master/debian/config/config
) they have
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m.  So it won't find any AHCI SATA disk without
initramfs (which contains AHCI kernel module).

By the way, UUID=... also needs initramfs (that's why LFS doesn't use
it).

> Now all I have to use is my USB's debian live. Should I  mount the
> LFS partition and chroot from the live system to recompile the kernel
> so it can recognize my keyboard, or is it better to get the host
> system booting and do it from there? Why did the semicolon make a
> difference in grub.cfg?

Both should be right once you can chroot into the LFS hierarchy.
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>