On 3/9/19 10:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 3/9/19 2:42 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On 09/03/2019 20:55, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 3/9/19 12:30 PM, Tim Tassonis wrote:
Hi all

I was just upgrading sysvinit from 288dsf to 2.93 and then noticed that   I
could not properly reboot or even halt the system  anymore.

Does anybody  know something about that? As far as I saw, the system
complained about missig /run/initctl, but maybe that's just a symptom?

I have to add that after a manual stop and restart of the system, everything was fine again, so I suppose the error is caused by overwriting the binary
on  a  running system.

For something like that, I would supose you would need to study the source code.  In any case since it seems to be working, I wouldn't worry about it.

I hadn't received Tim's original message. I've seen exactly the same behavior. I do not know what would be a clean way to upgrade. Maybe do a DESTDIR install
(actually make ROOT=/some/where install), then reboot with
init=/some/where/sbin/init, then move to destination, and reboot again...

Good point.  I note that they don't use DESTDIR but use ROOT as you say above.

That said, looking at the installed files, the ones that would be needed during shutdown (or when rebooting) appear to be in /sbin:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 25560 Mar  9 15:01 halt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55752 Mar  9 15:01 init
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34520 Mar  9 15:01 killall5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20152 Mar  9 15:01 logsave
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19000 Mar  9 15:01 runlevel
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40056 Mar  9 15:01 shutdown

I'm not sure if logsave is needed (it's not used in the LFS scripts).

Rebooting to init=/bin/bash and moving those files to /sbin and then rebooting normally would seem to be the easiest way to upgrade.

A full cp of the riles in the $ROOT directory could then be done before or after the final reboot.

Another thing that might work (just speculating) is to do a hard power off (pull the power plug) after the make install.

Yes, that should work, the power plug trick in any case worked. For my local machines that is no problem, it's just that would need a remote solution too, for the machines that are at my customer's.

Guess I will go for installing to a temporary location and then do the init=/bin/bash stuff, that should be doable.

Thanks for all the tips.

Bye
Tim

   -- Bruce