On 11/30/19 3:11 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 11/30/19 1:15 PM, Thomas Seeling wrote:
Hallo,

I started LFS 9.0 on a fresh partition and it stopped at step 158 (of my
jhalfs numbering) where it compiles the kernel ... it nearly finishes
but then complains about cpio missing.

   CC      kernel/rseq.o
   AR      kernel/built-in.a
   GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
   CC [M]  kernel/configs.o
   CHK     kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz
   GEN     kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz
./kernel/gen_kheaders.sh: line 61: cpio: command not found
make[2]: *** [kernel/Makefile:131: kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1085: kernel] Error 2

I built cpio on the fly and it seems to work now but I cannot remember I
needed to build cpio before for the base system (I'm a happy user since
LFS 6). I've built cpio afterwards anyway for initramfs and early
microcode loading but not for the initial kernel compilation.

Is this something new like the requirement for rsync?

I don't know right now.  I am going to start an update to LFS today and there are several new packages, including the kernel.  I don't normally rebuild the kernel in chroot, but I'll do that this time.

I just made an update to LFS with nine new packages, but using the current tool chain.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/

In chroot without any changes after LFS Chapter 7, I built the kernel with

make defconfig && make

and there were no complaints. Not even a compiler warning. Looking at the configuration, there is:

# CONFIG_IKCONFIG is not set
# CONFIG_IKHEADERS is not set

I then ran 'make mrproper' and used my current 5.2.8 configuration:

make oldconfig

I took the defaults for new configuration items except:

NET_VENDOR_GOOGLE N
NET_VENDOR_PENSANDO N

Again the build is clean. I have not yet rebooted because I want to build a few BLFS packages in chroot first. If there are issues, I'll post them here, but I am not expecting any.

  -- Bruce