On 1/4/20 12:41 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

I'm at the end of the LFS book and installing a few helpful
BLFS programs, using
Beyond Linux® From Scratch (systemd Edition) - Version 2020-01-03

At the end of installing Cyrus SASL-2.1.27 you're supposed to
run "make install-saslauthd" after downloading the file in
"blfs-systemd-units-20191026". The question is where this
should be downloaded to.

The section BLFS Systemd Units states:

. . . When a systemd unit is requested from BLFS Systemd Units,
simply change to the directory, and as the root user, execute
the given make install-<systemd-unit> command. . .

Change to what directory?

I've downloaded the blfs-systemd file to $LFS/sources and to
$LFS/sources/cyrus-sasl-2.1.27, switched to those directories,
and executed "make install-saslauthd". It fails with the
message:

make: *** No rule to make target 'install-saslauthd'.  Stop.

I've done this hundreds of times with no problems when I last
built LFS several years ago, with no issues.

What am I missing?

The section also states:

It is advisable to peruse each systemd unit before installation
to determine whether the installed files meet your needs.

I've looked at the "blfs-systemd-units-20191026" file, but
vim indicates nothing useful inside.

Alan

Place the blfs-systemd-units tarball in the same place as the other tarballs. Extract it using the tar command like you would normally, and then cd into it (example: tar -xf blfs-systemd-units-20191026.tar.xz && cd blfs-systemd-units-20191026)

You can then run a "vi blfs/units/saslauthd.service" for example and make sure that it fits your needs. In the majority of cases, it should meet the needs of the user by default. Since you're specifically mentioning Cyrus SASL, make sure you view blfs/default/saslauthd just to make sure that it meets the needs that you're looking for.

Thank you,

- Doug