On 1/22/20 7:40 PM, Scott Andrews wrote:

On 1/22/20 3:03 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 1/22/20 12:15 PM, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

On 1/22/20 11:40 AM, Scott Andrews wrote:
I am trying to build the lfs editor manual after downloading the source with svn

executing make nochunks returns the following error

 $ make nochunks
xsltproc --xinclude --nonet -stringparam profile.condition html \
--output ~/lfs-editors-guide/LFS-EDITORS-GUIDE.html \
  stylesheets/lfs-nochunks.xsl index.xml
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.69.1/xhtml/profile-docbook.xsl warning: failed to load external entity "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.69.1/xhtml/profile-docbook.xsl"; compilation error: file stylesheets/lfs-nochunks.xsl line 8 element import xsl:import : unable to load http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.69.1/xhtml/profile-docbook.xsl
make: *** [Makefile:43: nochunks] Error 5

I have built the LFS SVN successfully so I am of the opinion that is a problem related to the building process used in the Makefile

Any way to get this to work?

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure on this as I haven't tried to build the editor manual, but my guess is that it's using an older version of the stylesheets. Bruce is probably the person to answer this one, but I can answer the question below:

Also How would you build the LFS-9.0 from the BOOK source?

If you're looking to render the book, do this (from within the trunk/BOOK folder of an SVN checkout):

make REV=sysv BASEDIR=~/wherever_you_want_your_files_output_to

To do a systemd build, replace "sysv" with "systemd" in the above command.

Here's an example from mine:

make REV=systemd BASEDIR=~/public_html/lfs-trunk-sysd

Or for the book, just use the defaults with 'make'.  sysv is the default.  Look at the Makefile for the other defaults.

As to why the LFS-EDITORS-GUIDE is not building, it is probably because the dependencies are not installed or configured properly.  Here is what you need:

libxml2
libxslt
DocBook XSL Stylesheets (docbook-xsl-nons-1.79.2 in BLFS)
DocBook XML DTD-4.5     (docbook-4.5 in BLFS)
tidy

Pay close attention to the configuration of the docbook packages and their dependencies.

Also I note that there are some issues with the editor's guide because we haven't updated it lately.  Checking...

There has only been one minor change in the last 14 years, but the contents are still valid AFAICS.

I had to comment out hide-endtags and drop-font-tags in tidy.conf due to using a newer version of tidy and I also had to:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-current/images/
sudo touch /usr/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-current/images/dummy.png

  -- Bruce

This link does not exist any more

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.69.1/xhtml/profile-docbook.xsl

I can confirm this, it seems that the oldest version that they have available on Sourceforge is 1.70.1 (2006-05-26 is the datestamp).

On an unrelated note, it seems that development has moved to Github: https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets