On 4/7/20 2:31 AM, Furkan İnciroğlu wrote:
Hi there,

When I compiled LFS 8.4 systemd Linux kernel version was 4.20.12. I
want to upgrade kernel version to 5.5 or else. I was wondering before
doing this job, is it possible to break something in the operating
system when this upgrade is done? Because now everything works
properly, I will upgrade just kernel.

Yes you can do this easily. Just build the new kernel with the instructions in Chapter 8 and copy to /boot. Then update grub.cfg with a new menuentry and reboot.

One technique though is to copy the current running configuration into the kernel tree as .config and run 'make oldconfig'. It will ask questions about new configuration items. I usually accept the default for those questions except for drivers. Usually it will want to add new drivers but if I haven't added any new HW, I answer No for those.

  -- Bruce