Beyond what other people have said, one item I noticed:

> commands I've run based on different threads I've found usually referring
> to different sections and/or previous versions of the book (as root, within
> chroot)
> ls -l /tools/bin/bash   =>   -rwxr-xr-x
>
> ls -l /dev/pts =>  c--------- 1 root root 5, 2 Apr 12 10:22 ptmx
>
> tty =>  not a tty
>
> ldd /bin/bash   =>  linux-vdso.so.1
> libncursesw.so.6 => not found

(section 5.15.1, at the bottom -
ln -s libncursesw.so /tools/lib/libncurses.so)

At this point in the build, libncursesw.so can only be in
/tools/lib.  You showed output from ls -l for /lib, with it not
present, but that is correct until a little later in chapter 6.

ĸen
--
The beauty of reading a page of de Selby is that it leads one
inescapably to the conclusion that one is not, of all nincompoops,