On Tue, 2020-04-14 at 21:01 +0800, dev o wrote:
> [...]
> "version-
> check.sh" in sect. 2.2.?
>
> Version: LFS-9.1
>
> version_check.sh =>
>
> bash, version 5.0.3(1)-release
> /bin/sh -> /usr/bin/bash
> Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.31.1
> bison (GNU Bison) 3.3.2
> /usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.yacc
> bzip2,  Version 1.0.6, 6-Sept-2010.
> Coreutils:  8.30
> diff (GNU diffutils) 3.7
> find (GNU findutils) 4.6.0.225-235f
> GNU Awk 4.2.1, API: 2.0 (GNU MPFR 4.0.2, GNU MP 6.1.2)
> /usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
> gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
> g++ (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
> (Debian GLIBC 2.28-10) 2.28
> grep (GNU grep) 3.3
> gzip 1.9
> Linux version 4.19.0-8-amd64 (debian-ker...@lists.debian.org) (gcc
> version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP Debian 4.19.98-1 (2020-01-26)
> m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.18
> GNU Make 4.2.1
> GNU patch 2.7.6
> Perl version='5.28.1';
> Python 3.7.3
> sed (GNU sed) 4.7
> tar (GNU tar) 1.30
> texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.5
> xz (XZ Utils) 5.2.4
> g++ compilation OK
>
> -------------------------
>
> dump question, but are the virtual filesystems mounted as described
> in
> section 6.2 ?
>
> I have played close attention to the instructions about the mounting
> and chroot and noticed that it is often identified as the culprit in
> earlier conversations.  The partition is mounted on boot via fstab
> then I run the following commands as root:
> mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev && mount -vt devpts devpts $LFS/dev/pts
> -o gid=5,mode=620 && mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc && mount -vt sysfs
> sysfs $LFS/sys && mount -vt tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/run
>
> if [ -h $LFS/dev/shm ]; then   mkdir -pv $LFS/$(readlink
> $LFS/dev/shm); fi
>
> chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i     HOME=/root
>  TERM="$TERM"                    PS1='(lfs chroot) \u:\w\$ '
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin     /tools/bin/bash --
> login +h
>
> I don't know how to try and verify beyond that :/
>
> -------------------------
>
> (I discarded /, /sys, /run, /proc & /boot)
> TARGET                                SOURCE     FSTYPE  OPTIONS
> ├─/dev                                udev       devtmpf
> rw,nosuid,relatime,size=401
> │ ├─/dev/shm                          tmpfs      tmpfs
> rw,nosuid,nodev
> │ ├─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs  hugetlb
> rw,relatime,pagesize=2M
> │ ├─/dev/mqueue                       mqueue     mqueue  rw,relatime
> │ └─/dev/pts                          devpts     devpts
>  rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,
> │   └─/dev/pts                        devpts     devpts

Hmmm, this is dubious. /dev/pts mounted on /dev/pts...
what does "ls /dev/pts" say (as root, from host)
If it returns /dev/pts/dev, then try "umount /dev/pts/dev/pts"
then rm -r /dev/pts/dev

Or reboot, login as root, set LFS (important!), mount the virtual
filesystems again. Try findmnt at this point, chroot again, and try
again to su in gcc.

>  rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,g
> ├─/mnt/lfs                            /dev/sdb10 ext4    rw,relatime
> │ ├─/mnt/lfs/dev                      udev       devtmpf
> rw,nosuid,relatime,size=401
> │ │ └─/mnt/lfs/dev/pts                devpts     devpts
>  rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,
> │ ├─/mnt/lfs/proc                     proc       proc    rw,relatime
> │ ├─/mnt/lfs/sys                      sysfs      sysfs   rw,relatime
> │ └─/mnt/lfs/run                      tmpfs      tmpfs   rw,relatime
>
> The following are run from within the chroot environment:
> ls -l $LFS/var/run
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Apr 11 13:47 /var/run -> /run
>
> ls -l $LFS/dev/shm
> * nothing returned *

This is as it should on debian: it does not tell you is does not exist.
It is just a normal directory. Well, you could mount a tmpfs on it, but
I do not think it has anything to do with the error you have

> ls -l $LFS/dev
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root            40 Apr 14 12:08 shm    (it is
> listed despite not returning for the command above)

Hmm, is it the only line of output?

> based on your expected response, It appears to me that /dev/shm is
> not mounted correctly.
>
> If believe that is supposed to be achieved by this command:
> if [ -h $LFS/dev/shm ]; then   mkdir -pv $LFS/$(readlink
> $LFS/dev/shm); fi
>
> Each of these commands return nil if run in isolation:
> [ -h $LFS/dev/shm ]   ** i have no idea what is performed by this
> syntax **
> readlink $LFS/dev/shm    ** maybe i missed a command to make this
> link? i don't see it in the end of chapter 5 **

> I also received a response on the linuxquestions thread:
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6110835#post6110835
>
> The fellow mentioned that debian doesn't allow users to an su to
> unpermissioned user without password.

Once you are in chroot, the debian configuration files are not
accessible anymore, so I do not think debian can control that.