On 4/15/20 12:38 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 11:44 -0400, Scott Andrews wrote:
The local.conf file is incorrect and will not allow remote logins

add this to the local.conf file to correct

disable_plaintext_auth = no

cat > /etc/dovecot/local.conf <<- EOF

      protocols = imap
      disable_plaintext_auth = no
      ssl = no
      # The next line is only needed if you have no IPv6 network
interfaces
      listen = *
      mail_location = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
      userdb {
          driver = passwd
      }
      passdb {
          driver = shadow

      }

EOF

Wrong list. This should go to blfs-dev, but the proposed file in the
book is correct with respect to the introductory comments made just
above:
"The following configuration is a simple proof of concept with IMAP
service using local users for authentication and mailbox location.
Reading files from the conf.ddirectory is commented out since the
included example configuration requires OpenSSL and Linux PAM."

Of course, we may provide a more complete config, but I think we'd
better not do that for programs involving security, and leave that to
the user/admin of the lfs box.

Pierre

It is not correct in that it will only allow connections from the local machine not, it will be denied from any remote.

Read https://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation