On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 05:46:17PM +0200, pisur5 wrote:
> Hello,
> lfs 10.0 works on a dell core i7
> The make -j8 command has no effect
> The compilation remains in mono processor
> I built lfs 10.0 from lfs 9.1
> On this lfs 9.1 environment. make -j8 is correctly executed in multi
> processor.
> Is there a special 5.8.3 kernel option enabled for make and gcc compiled in
> multi processor?
> Or some other solution to fix this problem
> Thank you for your help
> Best regards

For the kernel,

CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y

works for me on my haswell i7.

Depending on how you have setup your preferences for 'top', you can
see the number of available individual cores and the memory/swap
usage.

It is also possible to take all cores except core 0 offline (editors
might do this to test with only 4 cores when building with rust or
unpatched ninja) by
 echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu{1..7}/online

To confirm how many cores the current kernel sees,
 ls -d /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?

And if you have to have to recompile your kernel, 5.8.8
has a security fix:
https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2020/09/08/4

ĸen
--
I could not live without Champagne.  In victory I deserve it, in
defeat I need it.  -- Churchill