On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 10:04:19PM -0600, Brian Hagen wrote:
> Hello:
>
>     After numerous passes to reach the finish line on LFS 9.1, I got a
> working system installed. The prompt reads "-bash-5.0#". However, the
> grub installer did not go well. It presents a message "WELCOME TO
> GRUB!", and then goes nowhere. Only a reboot regains control.
>
>     I was able to access the new LFS system by using a System Rescue CD
> version 7.01. It has a menu option with a utility named "findroot". That
> utility searches for partitions that have an init function and lists
> them. Choosing the new LFS partition brings up a login prompt. Once
> logged in, I could see that the new LFS system is working. It can ping
> LAN and WAN IP addresses. However, without a workable ftp or sftp
> facility, I am not certain how to add more networking capabilities.

Using ftp nowadays is uncommon - many public sites for source code
have stopped using ftp.  You probably want a browser, certificates
for https:// (make-ca in BLFS), curl and wget.

Since you have other machines on your lan, if you have usb on this
machine you could download things on another machine, write them to
a usb stick (you might beed to format it as ext4 or ext2, depending
on your kernel options) and plug it in once you are in the LFS
system.

>     I hesitated to make any changes during the LFS steps starting with
> section 8.3.1 and "make defconfig". There are so many options there that
> I did not change anything; only verified the stated steps. I would like
> to figure out what went wrong with the grub-install process. It appears
> that the kernel is operating just fine. With a good GRUB creation
> procedure, the entire 9.1 LFS creation process can be a success.
>
>     Comment is invited.
>
> Brian

Rather than write 'systemrescuecd' several times, I've used 'SRCD'
in my comments.

For the kernel, 'make defconfig' is only a starting point - you need
to know what hardware you are running, the drivers it uses (on a
distro, lspci will provide much of this information and I guess SRCD
probably has that.  Also lsmod, although distro modules tend to
include things you don't usually need in LFS).  From memory,
something like 'lspci -VV | less' to see the hardware and the
drivers it is using.

I still have no idea what is wrong with your grub install, and I
suppose it is possible that the defconfig does not provide all the
required drivers for your hardware (or alternatively, it made tham
as modules), but that sort of thing usually only shows up *after*
grub starts to boot your kernel.

All I can suggest for grub is that you look at the Arch wiki in your
favourite browser - there is a lot there for grub, and yes, the
detail is hard and some of it might be contradictory.  If you are
able to browse that from one machine while trying to use grub to
boot the LFS machine you might be able to make progress.

But perhaps the easiest solution (who knows, it might work, and
probably nothing lost if it doesn't) is to boot to the LFS system
from SRCD, check that the disk is showing up as /dev/sda, and then
rerun 'grub-install /dev/sda'.  You will need /dev /proc /sys to be
mounted for that, I've never used 'findroot', perhaps it has already
mounted all three.  If not, from another SRCD tty bind them to
wherever the LFS system is mounted (ISTR SRCD reserves /mnt for its
own use but lets you create directories beneath it - from the second
SRCD tty 'mount' should show everything including where the LFS
system is.

ĸen
--
(The Balancing Monks) use small brass weights, none of them bigger
than a fist. They work. Well, obviously they work. The world has not