In an LFS 10.0 build, I was at section 8.23, which compiles the
Acl-2.2.53 package. During the first step, (./configure), it reached the
point listed as "checking for getxattr in -lattr... no". Then it halted
with the message "FATAL ERROR: could not find a valid Extended
Attributes library. Install the extended attributes (attr) development
package. Alternatively, run "make install-lib" from the attr source."
[end of message ] [return to prompt]

    Typing "make install-lib" returned an error that there is no
Makefile. Sensible enough, but I did so to see the results. I had
carefully validated the host system requirements at the start of the
project; all were in order. Searching online for clues, I found
references to xattr, but not attr. At this point, I would like to just
leave the project in a halted state until I can find an answer.
Everything else so far has gone flawlessly.

Brian