Copying to the list.

On 3/22/21 4:53 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 3/22/21 3:57 PM, Scott Andrews wrote:

On 3/22/21 1:41 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
On 3/22/21 11:54 AM, Scott Andrews wrote:

Actually it doesn't..............

Test-rc.sh: Begin Run: print_error_msg

***** [ FAIL ]

       You should not be reading this error message.
       It means that an unforeseen error took place in
       /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80ntpd,
       which exited with a return value of 1.
       If you're able to track this error down to a bug in one of the
       files provided by the HBL book
       Please be so kind to inform us at scott.andr...@columbus.rr.com.
***** [ FAIL ]
Press Enter to continue...

cat bootlog
Mar 22 16:30:55 -04:00 scott.example.org   FAIL
Mar 22 16:30:55 -04:00 scott.example.org
       You should not be reading this error message.
       It means that an unforeseen error took place in
       /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80ntpd,
       which exited with a return value of 1.
       If you're able to track this error down to a bug in one of the
       files provided by the HBL book
       Please be so kind to inform us at scott.andr...@columbus.rr.com.
  FAIL

You are right that the failure messages are not perfect.  I have been aware of them, but did not feel it important enough to fix.  It has to do with coordinating the FAIL outout with the multi-line MSG.

How would you fix it?

And shellcheck is quite correct,  if there

Not for our usage.

Yes for all usages.

Show me an example of where shellcheck is not correct and causes the boot scripts to fail or error.

I have found it to work when run upon all the scripts/sourced scripts. You may have to correct a couple of things but the result works

It wants to use "\\n" in strings.  If I do
   echo -e $MSG
it prints the backslash and does not output a newline.

I am rewriting the boot init files to a standard.

What standard?

The standard that others seem to be using, or picking up.

I see. That does not seem to conform to the term "standard".  There does not seem to be an authority to establish that standard.

It would do well to have a "lint" of some kind before releasing a script onto the horde.

If a lint is available for use, I use it or run it on what ever project I am wroking on.

shellcheck and rpmlint are two that comes to mind.

Those seem to really be suggestions by the authors.

Yes I have found that the boot scripts do indeed do not work properly in some cases.

What are those cases?

Does not work with swap partitions.

What doesn't work?  We do swapon -a and swapoff -a.  Any problems with that would be different requirements.

Brings up all IFACES on restarting as in /etc/init.d/network restart

OK, I'll buy that.  How would you fix it?  I'll note that when bringing down the network the script should check that the interface is indeed up before running ifdown.  The result there is just some unwanted messages, but don't affect the operation.

No way to disable a /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.* file without moving or renaming it.

I agree with that also.  What would you propose?

clock fails if the hardware does not contain a hardware clock.

I never considered that.  How would you fix it?

   -- Bruce