I have digged a little deeper and compiled lftp with openssl instead of gnutls,
and now the error is different:

mget: upload/*: Fatal error: SSL_read: wrong version number

it happens between 4000-5000 files now.

With -d, this is the output:

<--- 250 Directory successfully changed.
---> PROT P
<--- 200 PROT now Private.
---> PASV
<--- 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,40,150,6,117,145).
---- Connecting data socket to (10.40.150.6) port 30097
---- Data connection established
---> LIST
<--- 150 Here comes the directory listing.
WARNING: Certificate verification: certificate subject name â*.dguv.deâ does
not match target host name â10.40.150.6â
**** SSL_read: wrong version number
---> ABOR
---- Closing aborted data socket
---- Closing control socket
mget: upload/*: Fatal error: SSL_read: wrong version number

I think the problem is that the directory listing is too long and when it is
turned into an encrypted datastream, the upper ssl layer cannot handle it....

Regards
Roland