----- Original Message -----

I was able to improve matters. I did:

  avFormatContext->probesize = 4096;

before calling 'avformat_open_input(&avFormatContext, NULL, NULL, NULL)'. It
now detects it within quarter of a second.

There is also 'avFormatContext->max_analyze_duration', and even though that
speeds up AC3 detection, it still hangs forever on DTS.

There are still a few quirks to work out when switching codec, but I think 'll
manage.