On 16.2.2011 11:21, michael chua wrote:
The last 3 lines are:

main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.904 ms - Total 0.904 ms / 1 intvls
(Avg 0.904 ms)
main debug: `rtp://@:6001' successfully opened
macosx debug: input has changed, refreshing interface

After that, nothing. I can dump the entire log if it would help. This
is the result when I listen to rtp://:6001

I think you might be right about needing to be contained within an
MPEG2TS mux for RTP to work in VLC. Would you happen to know of any
clients without this limitation? And is their a guide for muxing in
MPEG2TS before sending packets to the RTP target? Does ffserver do
this for outgoing RTP streams?

No, I don't now about players without this restriction. The reason I think mpegts is used, because there are packets that describe the stream and video formats inside, so the right decoder can be used. But only a few codecs can be muxed with mpegts (mpeg2, mpeg4, vc-1). For sending other Media through rtp, rtsp is used to describe the session. For sending mpegts with rtp look at the archive of the list for "Output mpeg-ts to rtp".

As an experiment, I tried using plain udp instead (udp://:6001), and
the streaming sort of worked. Frames were being received by VLC and
displayed, but the quality was very poor (lots of artefacts, blotchy
colors, and smudging). I was getting lots of errors in VLC's message
log too:

main warning: late picture skipped (8732>  -9382)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (199 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (378 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (12 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (12 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (35 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (519 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (522 bytes)
avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (378 bytes)

I think packets were probably being lost, so VLC couldn't decode some
frames. This is probably the consequence of using plain UDP...

Do you send the packets over wlan or wan? Because in a local network (say 100 Mbit/s, one switch) normally not many udp packets are lost, then the traffic is low. I think the frames are not correct decoded, because on the sender you make rtp and on the receiver udp, so vlc want to decode the Bytes inside udp as video, without stripping the rtp header.