On 2-May-07, at 10:35 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> Quoting Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> The packager here is mysql.com, and I have no issue with the way it's
>> currently done, with all MySQL package related files in one place
>> (/usr/local/mysql/* or /opt/mysql/mysql/*, etc).
>>
>> The problem arises only because of the path incompatibility
>> between the
>> /usr/include/mysql/* and PKG/include/*.
>>

> Thanks for sharing the insight about the advantages of not
> installing the stuff in the default location. I wasn't aware of
> these issues at all.
>
> With all that in mind, the simplest solution would be to convince
> mysql.com to use PKG/include/mysql/* instead of PKG/include/*. This
> is a trivial change for them,

It's not quite so obvious, methinks.

The Linux tarballs for Enterprise do exactly what the OS X package
does: everything is in a single directory, 'mysql-enterprise-
gpl-5.0.40-linux-i686-glibc23', so the obvious (non-packaged)
installation process might be:

        tar -C /usr/local -xzf mysql-enterprise-gpl-5.0.40-linux-i686-
glibc23.tar.gz
        cd /usr/local
        ln -s mysql-enterprise-gpl-5.0.40-linux-i686-glibc23 mysql

and then... for compatibility with software like libdbi that refers
to "mysql/mysql.h"...

        ln -s /usr/local/mysql/include /usr/include/mysql

(assuming you don't want multiple installed versions)

I think the questions I'd first ask the MySQL people might be,
- what is the packaging/install policy for directory structure,
specifically includes;
- do you recommend or deprecate such a symlink;
- accordingly, what is the recommended and most portable #include
path for mysql.h;
- and can you explain the inconsistencies between Linux/Solaris/OS X/
tarball packaging.

> but it would make life for autopackaged tools that use
> libmysqlclient so much easier. Do you have any contacts to the
> MySQL guys who build the OS X packages?

I can raise these questions with Enterprise support.

--Toby