Tim Bell writes:

 > Sounds a good approach.  It would also avoid the security/operation
 > risks if the database path is not specified.

I've implemented the default database directory suggestion. Please
grab the latest cvs version of libdbi-drivers to give it a try (you'll
need a libdbi-1.0 prerelease or the current cvs version too).

Drivers of database engines that allow to store database files
anywhere in your file system (currently sqlite, sqlite3, firebird) now
use a compile-time default directory if the database path is not
specified by the connection options. The default is
<localstatedir>/lib/libdbi/<drivername>, which e.g. resolves to
/usr/local/var/lib/libdbi/sqlite3 for the sqlite3 driver on my FreeBSD
box. This is in accordance with FHS and Debian rules, afaik. These
directories are created when installing the drivers. By default, they
have the permissions set to 1777 (read, write, and traverse for
everyone, plus the sticky bit set). If this should be a security
problem, please let me know.

You can select a different default root directory by setting the
configure option --with-dbi-dbdir appropriately (--with-dbi-dbdir
/usr/local/var/lib/libdbi is equivalent to the default setting).

You can still override the database directory settings of each
connection individually in your applications with the driver-specific
options sqlite_dbdir, sqlite3_dbdir, and firebird_dbdir.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka