Hi Mike,

Mike Rylander writes:
 > However, I'm having a problem using libdbi from within a shared
 > object.  In much the same way that Apache loads DSOs, we have built a
 > server infrastructure that allows loading of application
 > implementation shared libraries.  The problem is that in order for
 > libdbi to load a driver on demand we must link both libdbi proper
 > (normal) any driver we may want to use (eh?) against our
 > implementation libraries.  Not only that, but we have to add an
 > LDFLAGS setting to the libdbi-drivers configure.in to tell it to link
 > against libdbi.so.
 >
 > I'm hoping that we're just overlooking something simple here, but
 > we've been pulling our hair out for the last couple days trying to
 > figure this out, and that's the only solution we could come up with.

I don't think you're missing something obvious here. See also a

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.libdbi.drivers/7

(the SF archive is currently down. You'd see a few more posts of this
thread)

Linking the drivers against libdbi appears to be a hack that works in
this situation.

 >       [UPDATE]    While my coworker was investigating the problem
 > described above further, I've developed (and attached) a patch to
 > dbd_helper.c to parse ISO8601 timezone offsets inside
 > _dbd_parse_datetime() if they happen to occur.  I use Postgres as my
 > main database, and this allows me to use TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE
 > columns and get the correct date and time out, without having to
 > mangle the timezone on the system (or inside the database) to assume
 > UTC.  It is untested with other databases, but it's fairly protective,
 > looking for specific timezone markers, and should be able to handle
 > any standard ISO timezone offset.

At a glance the patch appears to do what it should. I'll give it a try
with the other database engines that run on my box and check in the
patch if it runs ok. Thanks for the code.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka