This paper "Ignoring the Great Firewall of China" is a few years old, but
at the time China was inspecting TCP packets for verboten keywords:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rnc1/ignoring.pdf

The blocking was easy to circumvent. The researchers were able to just
ignore TCP reset packets and the connections proceeded unhindered. They
also were able to conduct a denial of service attack against IP addresses
in China by spoofing packets with forbidden content, which would trigger
spurious connection resets.

This was 6 years ago, so I'm sure the game has changed somewhat.