..on Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:24:54PM -0400, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:

> The closed-source nature of the software makes pushing
> government-mandated backdoors incredibly easy and extremely difficult to
> detect if done right. This is a tall claim not backed by evidence or the
> possibility of review.

A chap on Twitter by the name of Eric King wrote that "I don't have a URL yet
but Phil said yesterday he was releasing the source code."

In any case, even with the source (including server-side) it is unclear as to
whether protection is not compromised by this suite.

With a credit-card payment system the client list is practically a click away
for any Government client, itself a worry.  Having the servers located on
Canadian soil garners little, I think: software in a position like this
configures the distributor under responsibility to the juristiction in which its
business is registered whilst foreign governments become potential clients.

Ultimately software promising this level of privacy needs to reflect that people
come from differing geo-political contexts. As such both client and server needs
to be freely distributed and installable such that communities can then manage
their own communication needs, taking risks within their techno-political
context as they see fit.

Cheers,

--
Julian Oliver