I wonder if a simple SMS denial of service tool could be written to
counter this?  I.E. if a woman is leaving and wants to ensure that the
"tracking" SMS does not get received until her plane is wheels-up, she
could set the tool to spam her husband's phone with as many SMS messages
as it is capable of receiving (possibly configurable based on model of
phone, since she probably know what kind of phone her husband has).
Have it continue attempting to flood the guy for the 'x' hours she
expects to be waiting for the plane to leave after she's passed passport
control (where presumably the check to flag her travel would occur).

Not sure the feasibility for smartphones, but I know that for many cheap
phones, such as my own, its small memory fills up very quickly -- no
more than 80 SMS messages can be held at a time before it stops
accepting more until you delete the old ones.