..on Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 11:37:16AM -0800, Wayne Moore wrote:
> Well perhaps I'm over my head here, not really my field but it seems
> that with the exception of some forms of abuse all these can be done by
> inspecting the packet headers. My understanding of DPI, as Deep Packet
> Inspection was looking at the content not just the routing and protocol
> information.

Yes, that's the point of DPI, to traverse the packet and inspect its payload.
This can be done already at the firewall with many existing libpcap-based tools
and is something that each network administrator should determine as necessary
or not. There are steps that can be taken to make it harder for DPI of course,
from VPNs to payload nested in ZIP/tarballs (albeit something Deep Content
Inspection (DCI) proposes to overcome).

In any case, Pettter's right, it has no place in core networking and it
certainly shouldn't be forced upon infrastructure providers as it's imposes a
severe breach to basic rights. Next we'll be handing in our SSH keys at the
local police station.

Cheers,

Julian

> On 12/5/2012 11:28, Petter Ericson wrote:
> > Transparent IPv4-to-IPv6 tunneling, detection of certain
> > forms of abuse, QoS modificaton, traffic monitoring and
> > shaping.
> >
> > Obviouly, these are mostly happening at a firewall or
> > equivalent, which is kind of the point. Very little DPI
> > is legitimate in core networking.
> >
> > /P
> >
> > On 05 December, 2012 - Wayne Moore wrote:
> >
> >> What legitimate uses do you see?

> >> --
> >> Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
> >> It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
> >>
> >>     William Pitt (1759-1806)
> >>
> >> --

> Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
> It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
>
>     William Pitt (1759-1806)

Julian Oliver
http://julianoliver.com
http://criticalengineering.org