While we can debate the merits of Silent Circle as an application or a
model, the article had a broader focus that should not be lost. Whether or
not VoIP and other providers are the best actors, they are bound to abide
by legal regimes that are not so privacy friendly. As the threat of a new
CALEA fight looms,[1] it would be useful to not forget that fact. I would
suggest from looking at his history of writing that Ryan Gallagher couldn't
care less about the application, but the principle at stake. Silent Circle
just makes for a good protagonist.

[1]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57428067-83/fbi-we-need-wiretap-ready-web-sites-now/

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM, bbrewer <bbre...@littledystopia.net> wrote:

> Ali-Reza Anghaie <a...@packetknife.com> wrote:
>
> >Yeah. It's thinly veiled marketing and pats on the back. And while I
> >appreciate Silent Circle - this is a bit much. Sheesh. -Ali
>

> ... With all the 'major players' to give it instant 'street cred'.
>
> Color me skeptical.
>
> --
> Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.