I love this PoC, and I believe it might actually prove useful in certain
situations.
Short-range FM transmission is certainly possible with cheap devices [1]
Modulating the FM signal should be a breeze, I'll try to hack up some code soon.
Awesome project.

[1] -
http://www.icrobotics.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Turning_the_Raspberry_Pi_Into_an_FM_Transmitter