On 06/12/2013 04:53 AM, Paul Bernal (LAW) wrote:
> This all rings very true for me: I'm a legal academic, and barely a
> geek, and in reality I barely ever use crypto. I was at the Privacy
> Law Scholars
Conference
> in Berkeley last week when the PRISM story broke, and we had a
special session
> at the end of the conference to talk about what we knew - and
someone asked
> about 'user-friendly crypto' and there was a kind of laugh/cheer
around the room.
> Everyone knows we want it, no-one believes it's there.

All of this said, I have a few questions.

First, why are the two mouse clicks required to run the Tor Browser
Bundle considered to onerous to use by many people?

Seriously.  I get this a lot.  They won't use it because it takes two
mouse clicks.

Why has nobody given GPGtools for MacOSX (https://gpgtools.org/) a
spin, commented on its UI, and made suggestions to the project?  Five
mouseclicks and a bit of typing and a keypair is generated and
uploaded to the keyserver network.  It even plugs into Mail.App and
adds a button to encrypt outbound mail.

Or GPG4win (http://gpg4win.org/) for that matter - nine mouseclicks
and you have a public keypair.  It even plugs into MS Lookout (I know,
I know.. the idea brings the gorge to the back of my throat as well,
but people still use it).  Where are the UI critiques and suggestions
for improvement?  All I see is "Crypto is too hard."

Enigmail plugs into Thunderbird and has a keypair generation wizard.
I haven't used it but it's there
(http://www.enigmail.net/documentation/quickstart-ch2.php).

For crying out loud, what will it take?  Baking this stuff into
MovieOS?  True AGI doing it completely transparently for us?

Developing software is hard, and it's not done in a vacuum.
Developers need feedback from the users so we know what we are or are
not doing correctly so we can fix it.  "Crypto is too hard," helps nobody.

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

"I don't want to go off on a rant, but..." --Dennis Miller