Dear LibTech Colleagues

I am pleased to announce a new Citizen Lab report that may be of interest to
the list.  Details are below:

O Pakistan, We Stand on Guard for Thee: An Analysis of Canada-based
Netsweeper’s Role in Pakistan’s Censorship Regime

https://citizenlab.org/2013/06/o-pakistan/

June 20, 2013

Download PDF version

Summary of Key Findings

        • Netsweeper filtering products have been installed on Pakistan
Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL)’s network. PTCL is Pakistan’s largest
telecommunications company and also operates the Pakistan Internet Exchange
Point.

        • Netsweeper technology is being implemented in Pakistan on PTCL for
the purposes of political and social filtering, including websites of
secessionist movements, sensitive religious topics, and independent media.

        • In addition to using Netsweeper technology to block websites, ISPs
also use other less transparent methods, such as DNS tampering.

Data

The complete list of URLs found blocked, as well as the list of URLs tested,
can be found in the following:

Complete list of URLs found blocked on PTCL:

[CSV][Google Drive]

Testing conducted from June 2nd to 13th, 2013

List of URLs tested on PTCL:

[CSV][Google Drive]

Testing conducted from June 2nd to 13th, 2013

Acknowledgements

Citizen Lab would like to thank Bytes for All (B4A) in Pakistan for their
assistance in gathering technical data and assisting in the research for this
report.

Ronald J. Deibert
Professor of Political Science
Director, The Canada Centre for Global Security Studies and
The Citizen Lab
Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
r.deib...@utoronto.ca