IANAL.

My understanding is that the TSA archives but does not examine the data
except under specific FISA searches.  This is their justification that it
isn't really domestic spying, because it's a fossil record of the data,
like archive.org for every stream, and they just want to be able to go back
into that snapshot and get what they want.

If the privacy implications were not so horrifying, scholars would be
expiring with envy.

Because of the communications allowed among branches of the DHS, I would
imagine, but I have no idea not being a criminal lawyer on that level, that
if a FISA search brought up evidence of, say, a crime relevant to the FBI,
it would go through channels.   It might be funky if it would jeopardize an
ongoing terrorism investigation.

Jurisdictional issues in any area of LE get sticky.  DHS was intended to
lubricate the worst idiocies of the often passive-aggressive barriers
individuals or the bureaucracy would throw in the way of inter-agency
cooperation.

What it did as a major side effect, throwing out the baby with the
bathwater, was blur "posse comitatus" or the division between military and
civilian policing in the US, to the point where as of May, it seems this is
a nearly illusory boundary.

However, since all this data is gathered under clearances,  the family
would, on a practical basis, find it nearly to completely impossible to sue
the government in this case.  They would, from what I have seen from the
ACLU/EFF beating themselves bloody to very occasional expensive wins, have
scant chance as individuals at storming those walls.

Yrs,

----

Shava Nerad
shav...@gmail.com