Dear LibTech

I am pleased to announce the latest Citizen Lab publication:

Some Devices Wander by Mistake: Planet Blue Coat Redux
Morgan Marquis-Boire (project leader), Collin Anderson (lead technical
research), Jakub Dalek (lead technical research), Sarah McKune (lead legal
research), John Scott-Railton (lead legal research), Ron Deibert, Adam Senft,
Matthew Carrieri, and Saad Khan.

In this report, our third on Blue Coat Systems, we use a combination of network
measurement and scanning methods and tools to identify instances of Blue Coat
ProxySG and PacketShaper devices. This kind of equipment can be used to secure
and maintain networks, but it can also be used to implement
politically-motivated restrictions on access to information, and monitor and
record private communications.

We found Blue Coat devices on public networks of 83 countries (20 countries
with both ProxySG and PacketShaper, 56 countries with PacketShaper only, and 7
countries with ProxySG only). Included in these countries are regimes with
questionable human rights records, and three countries that are subject to US
sanctions: Iran, Syria, and Sudan.

Our findings raise questions around the sale of “dual-use” communication
technologies to national jurisdictions where the implementation of such
technology has not been publicly debated or shaped by the rule of law. The
issues raised by this report go beyond one company and its products and
services, and underscore the imperatives of addressing the global public policy
implications of internationally-marketed communications infrastructure and
services.

Alongside the publication of our report, we have sent a letter to
representatives of Blue Coat and its major investor, the Ontario Teachers’
Pension Plan (OTPP), inquiring about their human rights due diligence
processes, and commit to publishing in full their reply.

Read the full report [PDF]:
https://citizenlab.org/storage/bluecoat/CitLab-PlanetBlueCoatRedux-FINAL.pdf

View the map: https://citizenlab.org/storage/bluecoat/fig1.jpg

Explore the data: http://goo.gl/EG7Oc

Read the Washington Post article; http://goo.gl/0BxtD

Email the Citizen Lab: i...@citizenlab.org

Ronald Deibert
Director, the Citizen Lab
and the Canada Centre for Global Security Studies
Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
(416) 946-8916
PGP: http://deibert.citizenlab.org/pubkey.txt