Mix Networks are designed to do this, with remailers being
implementations of them (although quite out of date, and best studied
academically and not relied on.  An intro, in blog form, is here:
https://crypto.is/blog/

Shared Mailboxes like the usenet group alt.anonymous.messages also are
designed to defeat traffic analysis, and are in the same state of
disrepair and academic study.  I aim to present more about AAM this
month: http://defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Ritter

I agree, I think defeating traffic analysis and metadata collection is
crucial - but we don't have many mature tools that aim to do this.
Tor is the best example.

-tom