On 2013-08-15, at 6:14 AM, Nathan of Guardian <nat...@guardianproject.info>
wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 08/15/2013 12:07 AM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> > Hot on the heels of last week's Bitcoin wallet for Android heist,
> > Google has confirmed that this was due to a critical crypto flaw in
> > Android, which could affect security in thousands of apps according
> > to Ars Technica:
>
> The only silver lining from their post was that HTTP/SSL connections
> were not affected, so this only really affects apps that are
> generating keys at the Java layer, which include apps like Android
> Privacy Guard (APG) and our own Gibberbot.

I was in fact wondering about Gibberbot when I heard about this bug. Glad
you're releasing a fix soon.

It would be cool if you could write a blog post detailing how the bug affected
Gibberbot, it would definitely be an interesting read as to how such a bug can
affect encrypted IM apps.

Cryptocat had its own RNG fiasco recently as well, which was documented in this
excellent blog post by Sophos Labs:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/07/09/anatomy-of-a-pseudorandom-number-generator-visualising-cryptocats-buggy-prng/

> Gibberbot v12 alpha (now renamed Chat Secure) is available with the
> fix, and we'll be pushing a public beta extremely soon to Google Play.

I approve of the name change! ChatSecure sounds so much better.

See you this weekend, Nathan!

NK