While I am no great fan of Silicon Valley - Silicon Valley I think does not
equal the Internet.  What I hope we guard against with this reaction against I
guess technological triumphalism is throwing the proverbial baby out with the
bathwater.  I think joining the "church of the savvy" (a saying from journalism
that I think can be transferred to discussions about the Internet) can be just,
or even more dangerous than belief in the Internet as an ultimate problem
solver.

Maybe to take the example of the homeless man as one example.  I had been a
member of a group working with homeless youth a few years ago - in the sort of
myspace to Facebook era.  What we found anecdote wise was that youth who had a
presence on social network sites were able to stay more connected.  One of the
difficulties that homeless youth face is that they lose connection to
mainstream society because that is not where their lives take them.  This
ability to stay at least minimally visible may or may not being a defining
circumstance of their lives, but it seemed important.  And the reason they were
able to do this is because libraries offered computers with free and open
Internet access.  I have no idea what Mark Zuckerberg's motives are, but there
is nothing wrong with Internet access.

Homeless youth are different from the adult homeless population.  I have seen
some very good research suggesting that the most important issue in adult
homelessness is, self evidently enough, lack of stable housing.  We somehow got
this view of most homeless as being homeless because they have other problems.
I think it is more likely that these other problems come from lack of stable
housing and perceiving there are no avenues to stable housing.  There are many
reasons for this, but I think one of the reason is that many homeless don't
know their rights and/or what might be available to them (less and less in the
modern U.S. I admit).  The Internet it seems to me can serve as a source of
information, available at the same libraries as the youth use (caveat, many
homeless youth are homeless because of other often family related problems, but
stable housing is still extraordinarily important  and at the same time almost
completely out of reach for this population).

Teaching a homeless man coding may have important benefits.  Somebody who is
homeless might be better at creating connecting platforms that meet the needs
of the homeless as opposed to say upper middle class college students.

I don't know where what seems like a snowball of Internet cynicism comes from.
Perhaps part of it is that everybody seems to be trying to make a buck off the
Internet and it has spawned an awful lot of e-confidence artists.  But that
doesn't diminish the potential it has for changing the way we live in ways we
are just beginning to recognize.

Michael