How important is the privacy of people doing the submission? Because the
government can always get SMS records from providers. That said, I worked a
bit on UReport in Uganda which is an SMS based system that allows (mostly
young) Ugandans to respond to surveys on various topics, some of which
(schools, water) were sensitive to the government.

I worked a bit with the back end providers and the interface APIs, so I
understand some of the issues, what would you like to know? There may be
technical things you can do that will raise the difficulty of government
surveillance, but at the end of the day they can still go to the provider
and have your service turned off.

One approach is to make the information just embarrassing enough to get the
government to change, but not so embarrassing as to get them to clamp down.
That approach obviously doesn't work in all situations.

-- Charles