Marshall Ganz talks about the David and Goliath story in terms of social
movements.

Sometimes the person or group with fewer resources wins…

http://inthesetimes.com/article/4552/why_david_sometimes_wins

http://leadingchangenetwork.com/files/2012/06/Why-David-Sometimes-Wins-Strategic-Capacity-in-Social-Movements.pdf

http://publicsphereproject.org/node/233

Thanks!

— Doug

On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Charles Allhands wrote:

> [...]
> > opium, which is purchased largely by impoverished, unemployed U.S.
> > citizens.”
> >
> > The lessons for contemporary peoples in the clash of David and Goliath
> > and that of Afghanistan and the United States are the same: that the
> > side with the most fire-power and state-of-the-art weaponry will not
> > always win. Any nation that depends on such killing machines or that
> > holds them in awe, whether these weapons are drones or spearheads of
> > iron, is courting its own destruction. All empires have their end and
> > the perception that a nation can forestall its demise by keeping a
> > technological edge or by shear violence merits the scorn of both God
> > and of history. The theological word for this is idolatry. The secular
> > term is stupidity.
> >
> > The premise of “The Killing Machine” is a distortion of one of the
> > foundational stories of our culture, one found in the Koran as well as
> > in the Bible. What Bowden does with David and Goliath, he does also
> > with the stories from present-day Somalia, Yemen, Pakistan and
> > Afghanistan. The “tacit” approval of U.S. drone strikes by Pakistan’s
> > government that Bowden cites is as chimerical as David’s slingshot.
> > His article twists concepts of international and constitutional law
> > just as it perverts the lessons of Goliath’s demise. Bowden does
> > violence to ancient and contemporary narratives that people urgently
> > need to hear, stories with truths that might serve to redeem our
> > humanity and even give us a shot at survival. Bowden’s counterfeit
> > versions of these stories are devoid of morals. They are base
> > superstitions and instead of counseling wisdom, these lying stories
> > incite torture, murder and all of the foulest crimes.
> >
> > “Drones distill war to its essence,” says Mark Bowden. “War itself is
> > terrorism,” said Howard Zinn. “War is organized crime,” said General
> > Smedley Butler. Bowden’s skillfully crafted propaganda justifying
> > drone warfare is no other than an attempt to give moral validation to
> > the essence of terrorism and crime.
> >
> > Brian Terrell farms with crude implements in Iowa and a co-coordinator
> > of Voices for Creative Nonviolence. On May 24 he finished a six month
> > sentence at the Federal Prison Camp in Yankton, South Dakota, for
> > protesting the killing machines operated from Whiteman Air Force Base
> > in Missouri.
> >
> > Contact <br...@vcnv.org>
> >
> > --
> >

> > ----- End forwarded message -----
> >

> --
> Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
> Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated:
> change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at
> compa...@stanford.edu.
>
> --
> Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
> Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated:
> change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at

Douglas Schuler
doug...@publicsphereproject.org

Public Sphere Project
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

Creating the World Citizen Parliament

http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
     http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601