+1 - you said it much better than me.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Enrique Piracés <enriq...@benetech.org>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think this is a good topic for debate among those who can or are
> currently developing security tools/protocols, and it is one way to
> further discuss usability as a security feature in communities like
> this one. That said, I think it is really bad advice and I encourage
> you to refrain from providing this as a suggestion for users who may
> put themselves or others at risk as a result of it.
>
> Also, I think the title is misleading, as most of the article is about
> why PGP is not an ideal solution for the future (a point where I think
> you would find significant agreement). Again, suggesting not to use
> PGP without providing a functional alternative is irresponsible.
>
> Best,
> Enrique
> - --
> Enrique Piracés
> Vice President, Human Rights Program
> Benetech
>
> https://www.benetech.org
> https://www.martus.org
> https://www.twitter.com/epiraces
>
> On 10/10/13 3:23 PM, carlo von lynX wrote:
> > We had some debate on this topic at the Circumvention Tech Summit
> > and I got some requests to publish my six reasons not to use PGP.
> > Well, I spent a bit more time on it and now they turned into 10
> > reasons not to. Some may appear similar or identical, but actually
> > they are on top of each other. Corrections and religious flame wars
> > are welcome. YMMV.
> >

> > ---------------------------------- TEN REASONS NOT TO START USING
> > PGP ---------------------------------- Coloured version at
> > http://secushare.org/PGP
> >

> > [01]Pretty Good Privacy is better than no encryption at all, and
> > being [02]end-to-end it is also better than relying on [03]SMTP
> > over [04]TLS (that is, point-to-point between the mail servers
> > while the message is unencrypted in-between), but is it still a
> > good choice for the future? Is it something we should recommend to
> > people who are asking for better privacy today?
> >
> > 1. Downgrade Attack: The risk of using it wrong.
> >
> > Modern cryptographic communication tools simply do not provide
> > means to exchange messages without encryption. With e-mail the risk
> > always remains that somebody will send you sensitive information in
> > cleartext - simply because they can, because it is easier, because
> > they don't have your public key yet and don't bother to find out
> > about it, or just by mistake. Maybe even because they know they can
> > make you angry that way - and excuse themselves pretending
> > incompetence. Some people even manage to reply unencrypted to an
> > encrypted message, although PGP software should keep them from
> > doing so.
> >
> > The way you can simply not use encryption is also the number one
> > problem with [05]OTR, the off-the-record cryptography method for
> > instant messaging.
> >
> > 2. The OpenPGP Format: You might aswell run around the city naked.

> [...]

*Note: *I am slowly extricating myself from Gmail. Please change your
address books to: jilliancy...@riseup.net or jill...@eff.org.

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*