Top-posting to retain context here...

I am not criticizing JavaScript -- I am advocating the segmentation of
using JavaScript for encryption from JavaScript for everything. :-)

If runtime JavaScript can be "contained" just for the encryption
mechanism, then I will happily advocate for that.

In fact, I am pretty much using it today in
Thunderbird/Enigmail/OpenPGP, while using NoScript.

Having said that, NoScript is not recommended for the masses, since it
requires the user to make some very tough technical decisions which
they may not know the answer to.

- - ferg

On 1/21/2014 6:53 PM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:

> Il 1/22/14, 8:06 AM, Paul Ferguson ha scritto:
>>
>> While I do not disagree with you here, per se, I would like to
>> point out that any client  that gratuitously trusts JavaScript
>> *or* HTML5 is also a client which allows the end user to be
>> victimized by the most casual daily criminal campaigns.
>
> I just would like to argue that the delivery (download,
> installation, upgrade) of an Chrome App is far more secure than an
> native application with an executable installer, due to the trust
> model of application store and the reduced risks of being
> hijacked/infected during the download.
>
> That's not a website delivering you javascript code.
>
> That's an *application* that is built using Javascript/HTML5 like
> if it was built using Objectice-C/C++ for iOS.
>
> No substancial difference.
>
> I'm really bored about the continuous critics against use of
> Javascript for encryption purposes.
>
> HTML5/JS is in the the future of any application development, it's
> the only eterogenous application development environment, the
> browser is the home of the end-user.
>
> That's what we just need to accept, it already happened, it's
> always that way. We just need to deal with that.
>
> -- Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) HERMES - Center for Transparency and
> Digital Human Rights http://logioshermes.org -
> http://globaleaks.org - http://tor2web.org

- --
Paul Ferguson