Hi LibTech

Citizen Lab post doctoral fellow Christopher Parsons is spearheading this new
initiative, which may be
of interest to some on the list.

Regards
RD
https://citizenlab.org/2014/01/towards-transparency-canadian-telecommunications/

Towards Transparency in Canadian Telecommunications

January 22, 2014

Tagged: Canada, Privacy, Surveillance

Categories: Articles, Research News
Telecommunications services providers that offer Internet and phone service
play central roles in the daily lives of Canadians. The services that these
companies provide are essential for contemporary living; we rely on these
services to access our email, make or receive our phone calls and text
messages, check and update our social media feeds, and figure out how to get
where we are going by way of GPS. Our lives are predominantly channeled through
these companies’ digital networks, to the extent that Canadian
telecommunications service providers are functionally the gatekeepers Canadians
must pass by before accessing the Internet, or phone networks, at large. Today,
Canadian scholars and civil liberties organizations have come together to ask
that many of Canada’s most preeminent telecommunications companies disclose the
kinds, amounts, and regularity at which state agencies request
telecommunications data pertaining to Canadians.

Canadian state agencies often request access to the subscriber and
telecommunications data held by these Canadian companies, as befits the
companies’ privileged roles in our lives. [1] Sometimes access is gained using
a court order, sometimes it is not. Sometimes requests are for circumspect
amounts of information, and other times for greater volumes of data. To date,
however, interested Canadians have had only vague understandings of how, why,
and how often Canadian telecommunications providers have disclosed information
to government agencies. Given the importance of such systems to Canadians’
lives, and the government’s repeated allegations that more access is needed to
ensure the safety of Canadians, more data is needed for scholars, civil rights
organizations, and the public to understand, appreciate, and reach informed
conclusions about the legitimacy of such allegations.

Our call for telecommunications transparency is in line with actions taken in
the United States, where politicians such as Representative Markey have
successfully asked telecommunications service providers to explain the types of
requests made by American state agencies for telecommunications data, the
regularity of such requests, and the amounts of data disclosed.[2] Moreover,
American companies are developing more and more robust ‘transparency reports’
to clarify to their subscribers how often, and on what grounds, the companies
disclose subscriber information to American state authorities. There is no
reason why similar good practices cannot be instantiated in Canada as well.

Over the past decade, Canadians have repeatedly heard that law enforcement
professionals and state security agents need enhanced access to
telecommunications data in order to go about their jobs.[3] And Canadians have
read about how our own signals intelligence service, the Communications
Security Establishment Canada, has been and continues to be involved in
surveillance operations that ‘incidentally’ capture Canadians’ personal
information.[4] Despite these developments in Canada, there is not a
substantially greater degree of actual transparency into how and why Canadian
telecommunications service providers disclose information to agents of the
Canadian government.

It is in light of this ongoing lack of transparency surrounding
telecommunications providers’ disclosure of information to state authorities
that we, a series of academics and civil rights groups, have issued public
letters to many of Canada’s largest or most significant Internet and mobile
communications providers. We hope that Canada’s telecommunications community
will welcome these letters in the spirit they are intended: to make clearer to
Canadians the specific conditions under which the Canadian government can and
does access telecommunications information pertaining to Canadians, the
regularity at which such access is granted, and the conditions under which
telecommunications companies disclose information to state agencies.

The responses to these letters will enable superior scholarly analyses of
Canadian state agency practices, evaluations of proposed federal legislation,
and analysis of government agencies to currently access data that is held or
transmitted by Canadian telecommunications companies. These responses will also
better comparisons between the Canadian and American situations; too often,
scholars, advocates, and policy analysts have been forced to transpose American
realities onto what might be occurring in Canada. With real Canadian data in
hand, it will be possible to more affirmatively differentiate between the state
surveillance practices in Canada and the US, as well as to assess existing and
proposed mechanisms that state agencies use to access telecommunications data
pertaining to Canadians.

These letters were issued by letter mail and, where possible, by e-mail on
January 20, 2014. We have requested that the companies respond, or provide a
commitment to respond, by March 3, 2014. Below are .pdf copies of the letters
that we sent; we look forward to hearing back from the recipients.

Letters sent to Canadian telecommunications service providers

Bell Aliant (.pdf)
Bell Canada (.pdf)
COGECO Cable Inc. (.pdf)
Distributel Communications Ltd. (.pdf)
Eastlink (.pdf)
Fido Solutions (.pdf)
Globalive Wireless Management Corp (Wind) (.pdf)
MTS Allstream (.pdf)
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc (.pdf)
Rogers Group of Companies (.pdf)
Sasktel (.pdf)
Shaw Media Inc. (.pdf)
TekSavvy Solutions Inc. (.pdf)
TELUS Communications Company (.pdf)
Videotron (.pdf)
Xplorenet Communications Inc. (.pdf)
Nicholas Koutros and Julien Demers, “Big Brother’s Shadow: Historical Decline
in Reported Use of Electronic Surveillance by Canadian Federal Law
Enforcement,” SSRN, February 3, 2013, accessed December 13,
2013,https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2220740; Andrea Slane
and Lisa Austin, “What’s in a Name? Privacy and Citizenship in the Voluntary
Disclosure of Subscriber Information in Online Child Exploitation
Investigations,” Criminal Law Quarterly (57) (2011); Ian Kerr and Daphne
Gilbert, “The Role of ISPs in the Investigation of Cybercrime,” in Information
Ethics in the Electronic Age: Current Issues in Africa and the World, ed.
Johannes J. Britz and Tom Mendina (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland &
Company Inc, 2004).
Eric Litchblau, “More Demands on Cell Carriers in Surveillance,” New York
Times, July 8, 2012, accessed January 19,
2014,http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/us/cell-carriers-see-uptick-in-requests-to-aid-surveillance.html;
 Brian X. Chen, “A Senator Plans Legislation to Narrow Authorities’ Cellphone
Data Requests,” New York Times, December 9, 2013, accessed January 19, 2014,
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/technology/a-senator-plans-legislation-to-narrow-authorities-cellphone-data-requests.html.
Jesse Kline, “Vic Toews draws line on lawful access: You’re with us, or the
child pornographers,” National Post, February 14, 2012, accessed January 19,
2014,
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/02/14/vic-toews-draws-line-on-lawful-access-youre-with-us-or-the-child-pornographers/;
 Jane Taber, “New cyberbullying laws should pass this spring, Justice Minister
says,” The Globe and Mail, January 9, 2014, accessed January 19,
2014,http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-cyberbullying-laws-should-pass-this-spring-justice-minister-says/article16253334/.
Ian MacLeod, “Spy agency admits it spies on Canadians ‘incidentally’,” Ottawa
Citizen, January 6, 2014, accessed January 19, 2014,
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/agency+admits+spies+Canadians+incidentally/9356255/story.html.
Ronald Deibert
Director, the Citizen Lab
and the Canada Centre for Global Security Studies
Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
(416) 946-8916
PGP: http://deibert.citizenlab.org/pubkey.txt