On 01/29/2014 04:50 PM, Guido Witmond wrote:
On 01/29/14 19:57, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
On 01/26/2014 08:12 AM, Guido Witmond wrote:
BigFix: the missing package manager for Windows. What every self
respecting unix/linux/bsd/etc system already has. Good.
How is a centralized service that requires the user to download and
install a binary from the web anything like apt?

Don't get me wrong, nearly anything is better than just bare Windows.

But an honest, courageous approach would actually encourage the oddball
student who runs Debian Wheezy or whatever else that is lightyears ahead
of Windows in terms of security.  Does this security mandate do that, or
does it merely hope that the ideal of academic freedom will just get fed
up and go find some other domain to bother?
I fully agree, being Microsoft free since 1999, myself. However, the
apt-package manager doesn't upgrade anything compiled into usr/local,
hence, the need for a scanner.

Hi Guido,
Before I write anything else: Is the BigFix client free software? Couldn't figure it out from a quick look at the website.

Thanks,
Jonathan