On 02/19/2014 06:39 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
"Now say that the user has installed a third party add-on that either
accidentally or intentionally (through design or through compromise) blocks
or otherwise prevents my "TV Web Application" from delivering that EAM to
the user, and, consequently their house is destroyed, potentially with loss
of life.
Or what if they looked away from the screen?

The future of web-browsing?
https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.net/_uploads/galleries/31492/a-clockwork-orange-475864l.jpg

Advertisers would love it.

I don't discount that there are indeed arguments that fringe
liabilities could exist— someone could even, as my silly example says,
sue you because they looked away. But fringe effects are not part of a
reasonable duty of care.

Yeah, but I didn't insert the guy's quote as a barrel of fish to shoot at. I inserted it to show that people who work under the assumption that content trickles down from the top are quite effective at making the net a place where those companies can continue creating content using a model they prefer. How effective are these people at their work? So effective that such a fringe argument actually results in the relevant language being removed in its entirety from the standards document.

Meanwhile, what's the risk to a student who wants to test the boundaries of fair use? Where's the infrastructure available to a scientist to release important pay-walled journal articles on public health as they come to his/her attention? What's the likelyhood he/she would even post a magnet link to such material that someone else is seeding? How can we take the meager resources available and build out infrastructure that lets artists, scientists, activists, etc., create and distribute content using a model they prefer? And without creating in them a palpable fear that they're endangering their future by experimenting with an alternative model? An anonymity overlay is the best thing I can think of that gropes toward that end.

Honestly, I'm just frustrated looking at how light the other end of the scale is. Somebody should make an app that delays critiques of the current state of affairs until one spends equal time writing/improving documentation for Tor or Gnunet.

-Jonathan