Steven Clift wrote:

Good. Bad. Ugly?

Does my Open Groups proposal to the Knight News Challenge resonate with you?

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/open-groups

Steve,

In theory yes. In practice, not so much. At it goes right to the opening statement "Open Groups will help people find and join online groups. People connecting in groups powers innovation and the *effective* freedom of expression online."

In my own experience - in participating in, organizing, and hosting various online groups, back to the days of computer bboards, early ARPANET, and USENET - I've accumulated a few lessons that might apply:

1. People don't really have that much of a problem finding or joining online groups - when they want to. If they're looking for an established community/organization, there's a web site and/or facebook page and/or twitter feed that's pretty easy to find. If they're looking for a group on a specific topic, Google works. For more substantive engagement, groups usually go to the participant, not the other way around - e.g., lists associated with one's employer, professional association, university, church, etc. And for more targeted communities, word of mouth (and email) does wonders.

2. The issue, on the participant's side, is really a combination of lazyness and overload - a lot of people aren't motivated to engage, and/or they're already inundated with so much spam, list traffic, and so forth that they simply delete everything as it comes in, and don't join new groups.

3. There's a lifecycle for online groups. They tend to start small, and have trouble reaching a critical mass. Those that survive their growth pangs, tend to do well - until too many people join the list/board/whatever - at which point noise grows to dominate substance and people zone out. Also spammers tend to start polluting lists at that point. I.e., it's not all that clear that increasing the number of participants, without end, is a good idea - it tends to work against effective engagement.

4. Some groups can be self-organizing - e.g., the xxxx-users and xxxx-developers groups for a piece of open source software (though open-source communities have their own organizational issues). Other groups really require an initial organizer to recruit participants, establish and maintain codes of conduct (netiquette), through moderation if necessary, catalyze interactions, quash flame wars, and so forth. Once a group is ongoing, though, "social pressure" from long-time participants is often enough to keep things on an even keel -- someone to do administrivia (add/delete users to closed groups, kill compromised accounts that have started generating spam, manage the list/forum software -- that sort of thing (I seem to have fallen into that role for quite a few lists that I host).

5. The right tools make a big difference. Personally, I've observed that classic email lists seem to "work" the best - in terms of longevity, participation, and so forth. Archives are an FAQ help for engaging newcomers (or simply those who want to catch up on a discussion). There will always be the occasional clamor for "why don't we do this on Facebook instead," or why don't we replace this with a web forum - but inevitably those seem to work a lot worse (Facebook's arbitrary way of deciding what information to feed to each user, web forums that nobody ever remembers to go look at). The old USENET approach also worked pretty well - but USENET seems to have been invaded by spam these days. I'd suggest a good email list, with a web-accessible archive (Google Groups is pretty good, so is Yahoo Groups - if you don't care about eventually moving your archives and list elsewhere. Personally, I'm a big fan of Sympa - a list manager provided by a consortium of French universities. Groupserver is pretty good in this regard, as well.)

I guess, my suggestion is that a tool to "help people find and join online groups" will have very little beneficial effect, on anybody. On the other hand, perhaps a guide to "help people organize and moderate groups" and to "select and manage technology" might be very useful.

Miles Fidelman