On 04/29/2014 05:22 AM, carlo von lynX wrote:
> Talking about tools that we should not recommend, I
> really don't get it why DuckDuckGo is being listed
> everywhere as the number one reasonable alternative
> to Google considering that they are based in the US
> and subject to US legislation which enables the PRISM
> program. It is just 100% naive to expect that for some
> magic reason DuckDuckGo is exempted from that program.
With Orweb and Orbot, we build in DDG as the default search engine.
Since all access via Tor, it is deemed acceptable, and since they do no
active logging, profiling, blocking of Tor, etc, DDG was chosen as our
best default option. Also, their own DDG Android app/widget is
open-source, and integrates with Orbot/Tor proxying directly.

> I am sure the folks are great, just like the ones
> working at Google..
Aside from being geographically located in the US, they are about as
good as it gets for a search company. Not as just humans, but as an
organization, and the decisions they have made WRT to privacy. As we
have seen, even if you are outside of the US, that does not make you
safe from PRISM, or any style of legally or network-based surveillance,
subpoena, etc.

> and the t-shirts that were distributed
> at the NYC #TA3M event are really nifty. But still, why
> use a service that by law has to comply to surveillance
> requirements if you can use services that are outside
> US jurisdiction?
>
> Somebody please explain.
If there was a search engine company, service or project based outside
of the US, that could match all the things DDG provides, I would
definitely promote and use them. Does that exist?

I would also like to explore more decentralized, distributed search options.

+n