My question boils down to:

DNS (not DNSSEC) is unauthenticated, and a number
of spoofing, poisoning attacks have been shown. One
of the goals of the certs is to authenticate the
other end of the communications, but I get the
impression that this approach gives no extra verification
beyond the fact that DNS sent you to the site
at some point in time.

How does this provide more security than self-signed
certs?

If you do verification from multiple geographic locations,
that may be OK but still seems a bit dodgy.

I really like the goal, I feel like I must be missing
something here.