On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 18:26 -0400, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> On 06/01/2015 06:19 PM, z...@manian.org wrote:
> > For their notification system, FB is leveraging GPG as an identity
> > provider to say" only a person who has a certain private key
> > should be able to reset access credentials for this account".
>
> I had not thought of this and I think that this is a good point.
> I do however question whether this is the purpose of this feature, I
> think it is more of a side-effect.

Nope, it's two distinct features:

- enter your public key so it's displayed and downloadable from your
public profile
- check a separate box to enable encrypted notifications

Further, I'll note that you don't have to trust Facebook can't be
coerced for encrypted notifications to be useful. You just have to trust
that -your enemies- can't coerce them. For many of Facebook's 1.44
billion users, this is probably true.