On Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 10:39 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> Here's what Facebook Live did this week:
>
>       Facebook Live 'broadcasts gang rape' of woman in Sweden
>       http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38717186

> Read the whole article, all the way to the end.

I did, and saw this "Facebook Live also caught the aftermath of an
incident in which a police officer shot and killed a man in St Paul,
Minnesota in July 2016."

and then read this "Officer Who Shot Philando Castile Is Charged With
Manslaughter"
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/philando-castile-shooting-minnesota.html?_r=0

The likelihood that would have happened without the pressure that
happened due to Facebook Live is quite low.

> Now explain to me why you think it's a good idea to do anything
> other than firewall their network ranges permanently.

If good people don't actively work to find empowering uses of
indifferent technology, then only the a-holes will have all the shiny
toys.

Also live video streaming from personal mobile phones over the Internet
is not going anywhere, whether on Facebook or not. I suppose you could
just block all UDP packets on known streaming protocol ports, and do DPI
for HLS over HTTP, but that would start to get out of control a bit,
don't you think?

+n

--
  Nathan of Guardian