[Apologies for cross-postings]

We invite contributors from academia, practice, activism and any other
communities interested in refugees and HCI to our workshop.

Refugees & Technology: Determining the Role of HCI Research
Workshop at the GROUP 2018 conference

*JANUARY 7-10 2018*, Sanibel Island, FL, USA
http://displaced-hci.info/**

==============================

About the workshop
==============================

Currently, over 22 million people are considered to be refugees. Many of
them are looking for shelter in the surrounding countries of their home
country. Technology can be a helpful tool in addressing the challenges
of the so-called “refugee crisis”, facilitating initial orientation,
information, as well as communication and networking support. This
one-day workshop aims to (1) finalize the elaborated guidelines of the
previous workshop and SIG meeting and to (2) formulate a manifesto for
researchers who work with the vulnerable target group of refugees.

==============================

Important Dates
==============================

Final Submission Deadline: November 21st, 2017

Final Notification: December 1st, 2017

Workshop Day: January 7th, 2018

==============================

Participate
==============================

We invite researchers interested in participating to submit a four
pages’ position paper (ACM Extended Abstract
<https://chi2017.acm.org/submission-formats.html>format). Papers should
critically reflect on how the researchers’ research/interest addresses
issues faced by refugee communities. Experience reflected upon does not
have to be specifically concerned with working with refugees, however
those interested should discuss how lessons learnt and methods used in
their works can be adapted and applied to refugee contexts.

==============================

Organizers
==============================

Konstantin Aal, University of Siegen (konstantin....@uni-siegen.de
<mailto:konstantin....@uni-siegen.de>)

Anne Weibert, University of Siegen anne.weib...@uni-siegen.de
<mailto:anne.weib...@uni-siegen.de>)

Reem Talhouk, Open Lab (r.r.talho...@ncl.ac.uk)

Vasilis Vlachokyriakos, Open Lab (vasilis.vlachokyriak...@ncl.ac.uk
<mailto:vasilis.vlachokyriak...@ncl.ac.uk>)

Patrick Olivier, Open Lab (patrick.oliv...@ncl.ac.uk
<mailto:patrick.oliv...@ncl.ac.uk>)

Karen Fisher, University of Washington (fis...@uw.edu)

Volker Wulf, University of Siegen (volker.w...@uni-siegen.de)
<mailto:volker.w...@uni-siegen.de%29>

For any questions please contact: konstantin....@uni-siegen.de
<mailto:oliver.stic...@uni-siegen.de>

--
Konstantin Aal
Research assistant and PhD student

Information Systems and New Media
SFB 1187 "Medien der Kooperation"
University of Siegen

Kohlbettstr. 15, 57072 Siegen
Raum. US-E-102
Tel. +49 (0)271 / 740 3383
Mob. +49 (0)176 / 30 780 007

http://www.uni-siegen.de/fb5/wirtschaftsinformatik/index.html.en?lang=en

„The art of living means more than just art to live,
is the highest art that life teaches - multifarious.
Rich in wealth and emptiness.
Lightness and seriousness.“
(T. Ertl, poesieundich.de)