One of PCH’s long-term efforts has been to encourage governments to restrict
their use of offensive cyber capabilities against the private sector.  As you
might imagine, this is a reasonably popular idea everywhere except the US,
Russia, and China.  As the GGE effort in the UN has stalled, we’ve successfully
prevailed upon a number of governments, lead by the Dutch and Singaporeans (but
with French participation as well) to stand up a purpose-specific commission on
this issue, to try to establish a diplomatic norm.

   https://cyberstability.org/about/

We’re currently working in two working-groups, one focusing on what the norm
would say (i.e. what specific behaviors would be discouraged, and under what
circumstances), and the other focusing on the infrastructures about which it
would be said (for instance, should hospitals, schools, or the electric grid be
excluded from targeting-lists?).  I’m coordinating that second working-group,
and we have a public survey, in which we’re assessing what people think should
be protected:

   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/criticalinfrastructure

We’re getting very good input from the Internet technical community, but
somewhat less from the Internet Governance / Civil Society / Diplomatic
communities.

Please consider taking the survey (should just take a couple of minutes) to
help us establish a broad-based consensus on what infrastructures are worthy of
special protection, and encourage others to take the survey as well.

Much appreciated,

                                -Bill Woodcock
                                 Executive Director
                                 Packet Clearing House