On 01/28/2018 06:35 AM, aryt alasti wrote:
> True though all of that is, if tens of thousands of people are relying on
> Facebook for their connectivity to activism and dissident viewpoints, then
> pressure should be put on Facebook to cease with its blatantly suppressive
> practices.

As long as that "putting pressure on" means "cut it out of our lives
entirely", then you and I can agree. Because, as I point out, that's the
only thing that organizations like this understand. In fact, they even
have a term for it: "unrealized profits". Unless you turn in this into
"unrealized profits", nothing will change and any hope you have for
change, is in vain.

My position on FB, and things like it, is not just that they are a
nuisance or that they have /some/ bad sides. My position is that they
are fundamentally, irreparably evil and should be eradicated like we
eradicate diseases or tumors: systematically and with unrelenting zeal.
Any time we relent, we give it time to breath and grow.
We don't need to fight FB on issue X or Y, we need to fight them, full stop.

It saddens me that projects like Diaspora never took off but that
cancers like Facebook continue to exist.
Sure, we need/could use some new technology to help us with this, but
that's not what we truly need, we need education first!

P.S.: Consider bottom-posting instead of top-posting, you'll leave more
friends in your wake that way... :)